Youth Services Librarian
Manlius, New York
The Youth Services Librarian works both independently and as part of the entire Manlius Library staff to achieve the mission and goals of the Manlius Library. This includes but is not limited to design, development, planning, organization, management, implementation, promotion, and assessment of programs, collections and services primarily related to children and families. In this role, the Youth Service Librarian collaborates with library staff, the Young Adult Librarian, community members, the Fayetteville-Manlius school district and various community groups to develop a diverse and wide range of services in support of the library’s mission and vision.
The Youth Services Librarian is in a position of responsibility and leadership within the library and is expected to support the development and training of staff members while exhibiting flexibility and professionalism in support of the library’s mission.
This is a full-time salaried position working 35 hours a week.
• Evaluates needs of community and identifies opportunities for new and enhanced programs, services, and collections targeted towards children and families
• Responsible for active and passive programming for children and families including planning, preparation, budgeting, scheduling, implementation, and assessment
• Responsible for juvenile collection development and management including periodicals, electronic media, fiction, and nonfiction works. This includes evaluation, selection, acquisition and deselection to maintain a relevant collection within the established budget
• Acts as a liaison to the Fayetteville-Manlius school district for collaboration and communication related to youth programming, collections, and services
• Maintains the Children’s room, including displays and booklists
• Responsible for the Summer Reading Program for children including programming, promotion, school visits, and reporting
• Provides budgetary input to the Library Director and manages the budget for children’s programming and collections
• Provides circulation desk support including reader’s advisory, reference services, and computer support as scheduled or required
• Other special projects and duties as assigned by the Library Director in support of the library’s mission
Desired Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
• Knowledge of developmental, recreational and educational needs of children and families
• Knowledge of current trends in library services for children and families
• Ability to translate the needs and interests of children and families into effective library services and programs
• Knowledge of standard library procedures, current information technology, Internet and database search capabilities
• Able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, patrons, user groups, community organizations, volunteer groups and to serve the public courteously
• Able to recognize and set priorities, and to use initiative and independent judgment in a variety of situations
• Must be available to work evenings and weekends
• Excellent communication and customer service skills
• Master’s Degree in Library Science or Library and Information Science (MLS/MLIS) from an ALA accredited school and a minimum of three (3) years professional library experience. Concentration in youth services preferred.
• This position may require working during any of the hours that the Library is open, including evenings and weekends. Although a weekly schedule is established, the needs of the Library may require schedule changes and flexibility.
• New York State Public Library Certificate
• Ability to operate and view a computer screen for extended periods of time. Depth, color, peripheral, and distance vision routinely required. Regular lifting up to 35 pounds. Ability to hear, talk, walk, sit, bend, reach, grasp. Occasional need to climb, balance, stoop, kneel, or crouch. May be required to stand for extended periods of time.
• Negotiable commensurate with experience plus benefits.
Send a letter of interest and resume, including professional references, to firstname.lastname@example.org by 1/19/2018.
Please include Youth Services Librarian in the subject field.